Popular Posts

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Two Natural Remedies for Dogs

Luna in recovery ~

I would be remiss not to share my Mercury Retrograde story with other dog lovers out there.  I have always loved animals and was home to a brother and sister pair of cats for several years.  While working a 9 to 5 job I didn't have the luxury of time to properly care for a dog.

Now I do.  But, this was severely tested over the past two months.

Her playcare center was closed due to a strain (outside the inoculation scope of the Bordatella vaccine) of Mycoplasma an infectious respiratory bacteria.  They asked if she was sneezing or coughing and I replied yes!  Off to the vet we went.  He did not test her for the bacteria and immediately placed her on a 10 day regime of antibiotics.

Ten days later she was still sneezing and coughing.  It was during this time that I read about the increase of allergies in eastern Virginia due to the very harsh and cold winter.  Everything was blooming at once!  I then started researching and placed her on a daily herbal supplement of Quercetin & Bromelain.  Holistic vets call it "Natures Benadryl."  I gave her one 500 milligram tab per day and it worked like a charm.  Sneezing and nasal coughing gone within a 24 hour period - with no side effects.










Three weeks after this treatment another health issue emerged.  On a Saturday afternoon a 5 hour period commenced of violent vomiting.  I have now come to suspect this was due to a pesticide.  I white knuckled my resolution to wait this out for a 24 hour period.  If the vomiting didn't abate and she was not able to drink water within 12 hours we would head off to the ER at the animal hospital. 

Thankfully the vomiting stopped within 5 hours and 10 hours later she was taking in water.  The next day she was also eating small bits of cooked sweet potato and rice.  I researched and purchased the herbal supplement Slippery Elm.  











I bought the powder form and made a tea with one heaping teaspoon in a cup of water. It is "Natures Probiotic" as it coats the GI tract with it's gelatinous texture and very mild taste.  Let it cool and then administer via syringe (if need be)  2 tablespoons four times per day.  She would not eat it poured over food or offered in a small bowl.  I had to "get it down."  Now she simply lies down and allows me to squirt it in her mouth with little fuss.

Within 24 hours her eating and "comfort level" increased.  I administered over the next week and stepped down the dosage to two dosages per day over the 2nd week until her excrement returned to normal.

This can be used for diarrhea and constipation for dogs, cats and humans. 

Slippery Elm is also working as a soothing stomach balm as I change her dry kibbles to a higher level of natural ingredients as it eases the typical stomach upset when dry food is changed.  When your dog is munching down grass at an urgent pace their stomach is bothering them.

So often the knowledge we gain is amassed during a period of "enforced learning," which I am happy to pass along to you.  

Should the need arise, I hope it helps ~ Warmly, Jean